The attorney general for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has taken the drastic step of suing three emergency service organizations and their officers in an effort to seek an accounting of public and charitable funds and property.
Named as defendants in the suit are:
- Aspers Fire Company,
- Aspers Volunteer Ambulance Inc. and the
- Aspers Volunteer Firefighters’ Relief Association
- President, fire chief and EMS captain Lewis J. Alexander
- Vice president and treasurer Alberta Alexander (wife of Lewis)
- President and fire chief Donald Haines
- President Sherrie Haines
- Treasurer George Acevedo
- Secretary Edward Kuntz
- Membership secretary Joyce Kuntz
- Board members Clair Showers and Barry Shealer
They are accused of:
- Diverting funds intended for the purchase of a new fire truck,
- Wasting charitable assets by abandoning a $10,000 down payment on a pumper
- Applying for grant money to subsidize a personal boat
- Paying individual’s medical bills,
- Signing at least 32 blank checks by various board members
- Comingling of funds
- Conversion of assets from the sale of an ambulance.
Concerns about the finances of the organizations date back to 2010. The petition alleges that “the fire and ambulance companies and their assets allegedly became an “alter ego” of Lewis Alexander and members of his immediate family.”
Here is a link to the Attorney General’s Press Release on the case.
Here is a copy of the complaint, thanks to a chief from the area. AspersFC-Orphans-Court-Action-5-24-2012